The dynamics of violent conflict & state repression
- "The dynamics of mass-killings in armed conflicts"
- "Managing Risks: How media freedom affects the escalation of state violence" (with Sabine Carey and Neil Mitchell)
- "Rebel threat or political connections? The contextual logic of military home deployment " (with Christian Gläßel and Adam Scharpf)
- "The institutional origins of pro-government militias in autocracies" (with Mauricio Rivera Celestino)
Political mobilization & choice of tactics
- "Accounting for numbers: How group characteristics shape the choice of violent and nonviolent tactics" (with Marianne Dahl, Scott Gates and Kristian Gleditsch)
- "Political mobilization in post-conflict societies"
Post-conflict societies & peace
- "The political consequences of wartime sexual violence" (with Richard Traunmüller)
- "Shades of peace: Perceptions of security in Sri Lanka" (with Sabine Carey and Christian Gläßel)
- "The particulars of transitions from autocracies to democracies: Explaining the lack of escalating violence" (with Sabine Carey)